Wednesday, March 17, 2010

March 15, 2010

Rainy Monday, the end of a break that I am not ready to end. I left everything go, of course, and now am faced with a necessary whirlwind of activity.

The American Guild of Organists sponsored a program with a group called Friends of the Groom at the Cathedral last night. The room was packed to overflowing, and the program proved to be simple–“childlike” is the term–and sophisticated at once, an outstanding afternoon of inventive religious theater and organ music. One expected. . . something else, I suppose, but what one got was better. I was moved to distress by the complicated thoughtfulness of a life–my life-- that could be founded upon simple faith, and the music and the dramatic scenes allowed me a vision of something simpler, more immediate, less subtle and regretful. Unfortunately, I could not sustain the uplift past the sleep of the night, and I am my old anxious self in the morning, but maybe a little calmed and modified, in ways even I don’t yet notice. Now, which jacket to put on, how much money to put in my pocket, what face to arrange for the day .

No comments: