Friday, March 6, 2009

March 2, 2009

Slush in the birdbaths. A cuneiform of birdtracks cross-hatched the porch this morning. I threw sunflower seeds on the ground for the gallant towhee pair, handsome male and handsome female, who stayed with me all this winter. Classes were canceled, so I have had two days given me for leisure by the weather. Went to the Y, which was all but empty, and one moved from machine to machine at sweaty leisure. I bought the giant bag of peanut M&M’s, and thought to pace myself by selecting out only the orange ones before moving on to the other colors. Amazingly, the orange ones have proven inexhaustible, and though they appeared by no means to take up more than their share of the mass, every time I return for a candy, there is another orange to be had. Perhaps I chose the Inexhaustible Bag, and so long as I search for the one remaining orange, there will never be an end.

No comments: