Thursday, October 17, 2024

 

October 16, 2024

Sudden sharp cold. As I brushed my teeth, I saw a doe and her young one cross the street on the other side of the creek.

Went to downtown Alpharetta to a café with airplane decor, where they didn’t produce my coffee until I’d asked three times. The second time I was scolded for being impatient. “We’re working on it. We haven’t forgotten you.”I inquired what there was to it beyond pouring coffee into a cup, and got a supercilious look. There are reasons for not letting women run businesses. Strolled past a barber shop, stopped to get my wild mane cut. I don’t have to LOOK like a refugee, Found a seat in the library among the early voters. Wrote a poem and looked at a glossy movie book. Tried to go to the bathroom, but there was a huge black man soliciting sex. Wandered about in the cold bright light. Sat watching the astro-turf where kids play. A big boy and two little boys–brothers, I think– played a kind of football which was mostly an excuse for an extended brawl. I admired the big boy, his engagement with his brothers, his kindness, the attention he was paying them that they will never forget. From their voices when they shouted at each other I think they’re British.

Spectrum email declares that my Internet is restored. Why is my doubt instant and inerradicable?

Home either tomorrow or Friday, depending on the motion of the spirit. If I get back too soon, if I get back with everything still unresolved, it will be too exhausting. L & J are off to Ohio, so my departure time doesn’t have to be specific. Had a productive time downtown today, and know how I can have a productive time in days to come, so the urgency is off just as the possibility arises. 


No comments: