Saturday, December 3, 2011

December 2, 2011

Student in creative writing, on the second-to-last day of class: “Do you have an extra syllabus? Somehow I never got one, and I don’t know exactly what I’m supposed to do.”

Student in humanities after the second-to-last day of class: “Now, what is it we’re supposed to do about cultural events?”

DJ and Russell and I went to Magnetic Field to see this year’s edition of the Christmas show. What was funniest was what reprised from last year, but I guess that’s how tradition gathers. Trinity underused: there are some roles she’s just too smart for. Had a delicious creamy cocktail and remembered how much I love the music of trains.

Happy day. Two miles on the machine before morning, good painting in the afternoon. Thought all day that I was going to meet L, but that has not yet materialized. Heard from Chris L, who broke his leg and was alone and in distress here without calling anyone, or at least without calling me. Back home in Ohio now. Somehow I knew his adventure here was a wrong path. Easy to tell when it’s somebody else.

Semester ends raggedy and raveling, as though we were all made of sharp edges and tore everything that passed.

No comments: