Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 26, 2011

Peg’s retirement gala. Though not adequate for how much she accomplished and how many lives she touched, it must have been gratifying to see so many faces from so many phases of her life. We sang horribly to her, but it made her smile.

Myself, I spent the day feeling professional defeat very keenly. Then a phone call came quite late from BH, exactly the person whose voice I needed to hear to be convinced Lincoln was still alive. My spirits along with my hopes for the show are revived. I did have to pump that information out of him, a little, for he’d actually called to say I’d lost everything I’d invested–about $13000,–in the financially catastrophic run of Pink Carpet. Glad as I can be now that I didn’t convince anyone to come along with me. Now, I don’t like losing that much money, or any, money, but as I told him, I’d invested only what I could lose, and the revelation that The Loves of Mr Lincoln is still on eased the shock. My entree into theater production (large scale) was not a success. If Magnetic Field folds, then I’ll be 0 for 3. But I also had the thought that I have never done anything–or avoided doing anything–because of money. The odd corollary to that is that I have plenty of it. Maybe I should be careless about other things, too, and grow rich on what really matters to me by not really giving a damn. I say that as though I’m joking, but the longer I let it reverberate in my head the more it begins to sound like Universal, if very queer, Truth.

A hand appears at the bottom to keep us from falling quite all the way.

Incredibly beautiful Korean film on DVD: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, and Spring.

No comments: